Ensley F. Guffey
Master’s Candidate in American History, East Tennessee State University
Thesis: “War and American Memory in the Works of Joss Whedon,” directed by Elwood Watson.
Bachelor of Arts in History, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, May 2012.
Summa Cum Laude.
Associate of Arts, Cleveland Community College, May 2010.
Outstanding Graduate, Spring 2010.
High School Diploma, Shelby High School, June 1990.
“’We Just Declared War’: Buffy as General.” Watcher Jr.: the Undergraduate Journal of Whedon Studies, V, no. 1 (July 2011): http://www.watcherjunior.tv/06/guffey.php.
Works In Progress
“Joss Whedon Throws His Mighty Shield: Marvel’s The Avengers as War Movie.” In A Joss Whedon Reader. Edited by David Lavery, Rhonda Wilcox, Tanya Cochran, and Cynthea Masson. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press. Expected, 2013.
“War and Peace by Woody Allen or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Wormhole Weapon.” In The Worlds of Farscape: Essays on the Groundbreaking Television Series. Edited by Sherry Ginn. Jefferson, NC: McFarland and Company Inc., Expected, 2013.
“Buying the House: Place in Breaking Bad.” In Analyzing Breaking Bad, Critical Essays on the Contexts, Politics, Style, and Reception of the Television Series. Edited by David Pierson. New York: Lexington Books. Forthcoming, 2013.
Ensley F. Guffey and K. Dale Koontz. Wanna Cook? The Unofficial Companion Guide to Breaking Bad. Toronto: ECW Press. Forthcoming, spring 2014.
Editorial Assistant, Owen Barfield by David Lavery (forthcoming in the Western Esoteric Masters Series from North Atlantic Books).
Professional Conference Papers
“War in the Whedonverses: ‘Why We Fight’,” presented at the 2nd Annual History Graduate Research Symposium at ETSU, Johnson City, TN, November 29, 2012.
“Buying the House: Place in Breaking Bad,” presented at the Popular Culture/American Culture Associations in the South Conference in Nashville, TN, September 28, 2012.
“War in the Whedonverses: Representations of World War II in Angel, Firefly, and The Avengers,” presented at the Whedon Studies Association’s 5th Biennial International Slayage Conference on the Whedonverses in Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 14, 2012.
“The Supernatural Sam Colt and American Mythmaking,” presented at the Popular Culture/American Culture Association in the South Conference in New Orleans, LA, October 8, 2011.
“’No Half Measures’: Violentization and Emotional Realism in Breaking Bad,” presented at the Popular Culture/American Culture Association in the Southwest/Texas and National Combined Conference in San Antonio, TX, April 21, 2011.
“’We Just Declared War’: Buffy as General,” presented at the 4th Biennial Slayage Conference on the Whedonverses in St. Augustine, FL, June 4, 2010.
“The Supernatural Samuel Colt and American Mythmaking,” public presentation at the Phi Alpha Theta Alpha Epsilon Epsilon Chapter History Week at ETSU, Johnson City, TN, April 23, 2013.
Awards and Honors
- Graduate Assistantship, East Tennessee State University, 2013 – 2014.
- Tuition Scholarship, East Tennessee State University, 2012 – 2013.
- 2012 Student Excellence Award (Highest Undergraduate Academic Award at UNCG).
- Member, Phi Alpha Theta National History Honor Society.
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro Undergraduate Honors (3.5+ GPA).
- Member, Golden Key International Honor Society (Top 15% of Class at UNCG).
- Chancellor’s List, UNC – Greensboro, Two Semesters, Fall 2011 – Spring 2012.
- Dean’s List, UNC – Greensboro, Four Semesters, Fall 2010 – Spring 2012.
- President’s List, CCC, Three Semesters, Spring 2009 – Spring 2010.
- Member of the American Historical Association, 2012 – Present.
- Member of the Popular Culture Association, 2010 – Present.
- Member of the American Culture Association, 2010 – Present.
- Member of the Whedon Studies Association, 2010 – Present.
- Member of the Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies, 2009 – Present.